Saturday

Turn your troubles into rejoicing!

 
Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.'   (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

OK, so lets put this into modern English! Lets 'say it different'!

In a sentence, the writer is saying, 'Whatever happens, I will praise my God and be happy in his presence.'

'Well, no matter how rubbish my circumstances are right now: no matter how terrible my business: no matter how everything seems to be falling apart: and no matter that I cannot see any great prospects: yet I will rejoice in my God and I will be happy that he is who he is, and that he has my case!

The old prophet is saying, that even if the fig trees in his orchard do not blossom this year, and his vineyard fails to produce anything: if his olive tress are empty of olives, and nothing good comes from all his labour on the farm: even if his flock of sheep have vanished, and the herd of cows he was rearing have gone too, he would still rejoice in God and sing praises to him for all his goodness.

Why? Firstly, because God is good, and he never changes. Secondly, because God will bring us through every situation and cause us to rise up again from the lowest place we find ourselves in. God loves a praising and thankful heart. There are too many moaners in this world!

A bit of thankfulness will go a long way with God. A happy, content, and joyful heart delights the Lord, and is also somewhat contagious among those who we brush up against. 

'The joy of the LORD is your strength.'  (Nehemiah 8:10)


Pilgrim Warrior 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is 'born again'?

Hi there. This growing set of notes are here to help you understand what the Bible really says, and to put it into plain English so that you...